The Ag Engineering podcast is a conversation with small scale fruit and vegetable farmers to discuss tools, tips or techniques to improve the sustainability of your farm. In this episode, we talk with Rose Wilson (rosewilson.com) to talk about online sales and their long term plan for your farm.
Visit the show notes for photos, videos or relevant links at http://agengpodcast.com
Learn something from the show? Let me know or share feedback here! https://forms.gle/fDraaXhRUtYfBchb6
Notes to think about
- Is the product shippable? Or how far away is the farm? Convenient pick-up
- Shipping/HANDLING costs
- Labor logistics
- Sustainability of the business
- Value added – ice cream, cheese, ferments
- Costs for: Packaging, dry ice etc.
- Need high margins or charge a processing/shipping cost in order to be worthwhile
- Might not need it after this pandemic
- Think about pick-up location!
2:36 Why is an online store a good fit for you?
5:07 Pricing for delivery
7:05 Will customers stay online after COVID 19?
10:45 Considerations for long term online sales use
13:13 How to keep customers on this new service
15:23 Negatives to going online.
18:48 How do you get into remote markets?
23:56 Online competition or advantage?